Home improvement projects can turn a house into a home. Homeowners plan scores of renovations to transform living spaces into rooms that reflect their personal tastes and comforts.
Homeowners going it alone may find things do not always go as planned. In fact, a Harris Interactive study found that 85 percent of homeowners say remodeling is a more stressful undertaking than buying a home. But homeowners about to embark on home improvement projects can make the process go more smoothly by avoiding these common pitfalls.
- Failing to understand the scope of the project
- Not establishing a budget
- Making trendy or overpersonal improvements
- Forgetting to properly vet all workers
- Expecting everything to go as planned
- Overestimating DIY abilities