Gov. John Hickenlooper signed 10 bills into law Friday.
The new laws are:
• “Statute of Limitations Crime Related to Sex Crimes,” Senate Bill 14-059, sponsored by Sen. Lucia Guzman (D-District 34) and Rep. Polly Lawrence (R-District 39).
Currently certain sex offenses are not subject to a statute of limitations, but accompanying non-sex offenses are subject to a statute of limitations. The new law will eliminate the statute of limitations for those accompanying offenses.
• “Veterans Community Living Centers in Colorado,” Senate Bill 14-096, sponsored by Sen. Larry Crowder (R-District 35), Rep. Thomas “Tony” Exum (D-District 17) and Rep. Brittany Pettersen (D-District 28).
The law renames state veterans nursing homes to veterans community living centers to more accurately reflect the variety of services provided to state veterans.
• “Immunity Public Agencies Insurance Wildfire Mitigation,” Senate Bill 14-097, sponsored by Sen. Lois Tochtrop (D-District 24) and Rep. Millie Hamner (D-District 61).
The bill states that public agencies are not liable for wildfire mitigation efforts conducted by private insurance companies.
• “Assistance to Local Government After a Disaster Emergency,” Senate Bill 14-121, sponsored by Sen. Kent Lambert (R-District 9) and Rep. Dave Young (D-District 50).
The law concerns procedures for determining financial assistance for local governments after a declared disaster emergency.
• “Civil Immunity for Volunteers at Emergencies,” Senate Bill 14-138, sponsored by Sen. John Kefalas (D-District 14), Sen. Kevin Lundberg (R-District 15), Rep. Jerry Sonnenberg (R-District 65) and Rep. Mike Foote (D-District 12).
The new law will offer limited immunity to volunteers performing services for nonprofit groups at an emergency.
• “Ground Water Management District Enforcement Authority,” House Bill 14-1052, sponsored by Rep. Randolph Fischer (D-District 53) and Sen. Matt Jones (D-District 17).
The law concerning an increase in the enforcement authority of groundwater management districts.
• “DPS DOC Background Check Process,” House Bill 14-1172, sponsored by Rep. Polly Lawrence (R-District 39) and Sen. Pat Steadman (D-District 31).
The law exempts certain public safety departments from certain statutory requirements related to the impact of a criminal conviction on state employment opportunities.
• “Federal Home Loan Bank Rights in Collateral of Insurer,” House Bill 14-1215, sponsored by Rep. Joann Ginal (D-District 52) and Sen. Lois Tochtrop (D-District 24).
The law involves the ability of a federal home loan bank to enforce its rights with regard to collateral subject to a security agreement.
• “Service-disabled Veteran Owned Small Businesses Set Aside,” House Bill 14-1224, sponsored by Rep. Bob Gardner (R-District 20) and Sen. Bernie Herpin (R-District 11).
The law sets a goal in awarding state procurement contracts to service-disabled-veteran-owned small businesses.
• “Fiscal Year 2014-15 Legislative Dept. Appropriation Bill,” House Bill 14-1293, sponsored by Rep. Dickey Lee Hullinghorst (D-District 10) and Sen. Rollie Heath (D-District 18).
The law concerns payment of expenses of the legislative department.